Friday, November 16, 2007

The Groom












It's about time! Right? Don't think I can't hear y'all ;-)Søren's Godmother, Paula, was over last night for dinner and pointed out that there were some very obvious topics missing on this little blog; i.e.
The Groom, Mom-in-law, immediate family on both sides and with a knowing glance, perhaps an entry on godmothers wouldn't go astray either. Darling charming woman you will all get to meet in upcoming entries, but first is first! (I will be careful with the sugar)


My Fiancé:
Søren Dalgaard Johansen
Born March 9th 1969

6 foot 4 inches (195cm)
Light blue eyes

Hobbies include: Watercolor painting, photography, sailing, Danish naval history, nature

Disposition: Observative, Intelligent, Soft spoken, Strong principals, Man of his word, Kind, Thinks deeply before acting, Strong, Compassionate, Honest, and Sincere. Drinks PepsiMax like water.


We have known OF each other for about 8 years.
It's only in this last year that we made a real connection. He and I have worked for the same company, Araneum, later bought by T.E. and even later bought by Sirius IT where he works now. At Araneum and T.E. we had mutual respect and delight in working together until my departure from the company 2 years ago. In the beginning years at Araneum he sported a well trimmed upper lip caterpillar and suit, of which I have no recollection at all, so I snooped for some photos to see what I had missed. See for yourself. Now both have been discarded for a more comfortable daily routine, so seeing him in that tuxedo with tails is gonna be quite an experience for me. I'm not missing the lip fuzz ;-)

One day in August he and I made plans to go sailing on his boat. I had just started at Nordisk
Film 3 months previous. He picked me up at the gates. In my mind the world was in slow motion. Life for me at the time was difficult. My remaining in Denmark was precarious both emotionally and legally. My reason for coming to the country twisted in my heart everyday with the increasing anxiety that my lease would not be renewed, giving me 1 month to find a new place to stay for the 3rd time in as many years. Heart-broken and homesick, I walked across the drive and up to his car where he sat smiling, watching patiently.

Needless to say it went well. It was my first time out on a sailboat and I loved it. Trust and
openness were immediate and ever present with us. Throughout the next month he helped me look over papers and contracts to secure a new apartment, and throughout the year he helped everyday in making it a home. Never dipping even a toe into the waters of romance with me. Solid supporting friend- unconditional. He has been with me everyday since I moved in, October 1st 2006. He let me take my time and never pushed, never asked for more, always listening, always up for a project or a photo shoot, encouraging, supportive. It feels natural and wonderful to be together. I'm so grateful to have his love and affection, along with all his other shining facets, in my life.

I'm slow but I get there. It took me a long time before I saw what was right in front of me. It
took a short time to trust my eyes and heart once they opened.

Partners for life.

No comments: